Friday, January 27, 2012

Back to the Drawing Board

This is a Mama Made Them post. An update on the business in the new year.

I had the best and most challenging Christmas season ever. To start off crunch time, a week or so before Thanksgiving I tried to cut off my finger. Well, clearly I wasn't trying to, but I cut it down to and into the bone. So for the whole Christmas season, I was basically minus the middle finger on my left hand. I also did a group buy (where a bunch of people get together to purchase at wholesale prices) right before Christmas as well. I also had the most successful selling season ever. The problem was that I was totally unprepared. I had no stock. I worked 12-16 hours a day for about a month, with the odd break to play games and baseball with my son. I read books while oil-finishing toys. I hand sanded during meals. It was crazy. I ended up being pretty sick for a week after New Year's Day.

So this year, I am turning over a new leaf. I am working ahead starting now. I have already started planning for Christmas next year. Even though this business has been feeding us for 2 years now, it really hit me this year, that this is for real. I need to start working more, because I disappointed people at Christmastime--I had to turn away buyers.

But no more. I'm blogging about this as a way to keep myself honest. Come Christmas 2012, I will be ready for you, I will ship promptly, and I will have the time to sleep and make proper meals for us.

1 comment:

  1. We got a set of your keys for our second daughter's main present (she was born in November) and she's in love--she adores it when we hold them up for her and tries to reach for them already. Thank you for going above and beyond with the hurt finger!

    ReplyDelete